A technology strategy is simply a plan that provides the answers to important business questions with technology solutions. At its core, strategy is about making the high-level decisions that enable a business to earn superior profits and beat the competition. The plan is there to help you make those decisions with technology being a functional catalyst in tipping the scales in your favor.
Your business will use the plan as a constantly evolving guide which communicates the method which technology will address new challenges and goals and the path which will be followed.
The plan highlights the following:
1. The vision and purpose of technology in your business
2. Current headaches and roadblocks
3. Top Projects and Initiatives
4. Measurement Metrics
5. Key Personnel & Providers involved
6. Future methods of being responsive and ready for change
Most importantly, the strategy answers these important questions:
· Are we doing the right things with technology?
· Are we addressing the organizations most important needs and are we delivering value to our clients?
· Are we spending too much? Are we making the right technology investments?
· Is our current technology up to date and working well for us? Is it flexible enough to support a successful organization in the future?
· Is our IT environment properly managed, maintained, secured and capable of supporting our needs in a cost effective way?
· Do we measure the value technology brings to our organization?
· Can our strategy support current and future business needs?
· Are we prepared for the worst? Do we have proper protection against disasters and security issues?
· Are we capable of reacting quickly to changes in the business environment?